The castle ruins from Beaufort-Luxembourg***Burg Beaufort-Luxemburg





Music: from the composers Derek and Brandon Fiechter

Nederlandse vertaling onderaan:
It was probably in the 11th century that the castle began as a small square-shaped fortress on a large rock protected by a moat and a second wall above the valley. A reference from 1192 indicates that Wauthtier de Wiltz et Beaufort was its first lord. During the first half of the 12th century, a keep was added and the gate was moved and enlarged. In 1348, the property came into the hands of the House of Orley after Adelaide of Beaufort married William of Orley. The Lords of Orley made significant extensions overlooking the valley. In 1477, Maximilian of Austria transferred the castle to Johann Bayer von Boppard after Johann von Orley-Beaufort committed a breach in trust. In 1539, Bernard von Velbrück became Lord of Beaufort through marriage and added the large Renaissance wing with cross-framed windows on top of the medieval walls.
The castle then came into the hands of Gaspard de Heu who had married Velbrück’s granddaughter. A partisan of the Dutch resistance and the House of Orange, de Heu was captured by the Spaniards, accused of heresy and treason, and publicly executed in Luxembourg’s fish market in 1593. Philip II of Spain confiscated the property and entrusted it to Peter Ernst Graf von Mansfeld, the governor of Luxembourg. Through marriage, the castle became the property of Henri de Chalon and then Gaspard du Bost-Moulin who had to sell it after being ruined by the Thirty Years War. Acting on behalf of the Spanish king, Johann Baron von Beck, governor of Luxembourg, bought most of the property in 1639. He initiated the construction of the Renaissance castle in 1643 but after he died of injuries from the Battle of Lens in 1648, the work was completed by his son in 1649.
***********************************************
Burchtruïne Beaufort
De ruïne van de Burg Beaufort bevindt zich in de gemeente Beaufort in het Groothertogdom Luxemburg. Ze staat ten zuiden van de dorpskern op een vooruitstekende rots op ongeveer 35 meter hoogte boven het dorp.
De geschiedenis van het ontstaan van Beaufort is ietwat ingewikkeld. Volgens een oorkonde werd de heer van Beaufort Wauthier de Wiltz et Beaufort in het jaar 1192 als eerste bewoner vermeld. Tegelijkertijd werd ook de bouw van de kernburcht op het eind van de 12e eeuw vermeld. De bouw van de burcht kan men twee hoofdstukken onderscheiden, het geen vooral zichtbaar is aan de binnenhof van de burcht. Hier vindt men duidelijk sporen van een romaanse en een gotische bouwfase.
Toen de heren van Beaufort in de 14e eeuw aan de mannelijke zijde uitstierven, kwam het complex in 1348 in het bezit van Adelheid van Beaufort en haar echtgenoot Guillaume d’Orley (Willem van Orley). Hun nakomeling Jean d’Orley-Beaufort werd beschuldigd van vertrouwensbreuk tegen zijn landsheer, waarna keizer Maximiliaan I in 1477 de burcht en de heerlijkheid Beaufort confisqueerde en aan Jean Bayer de Boppard in leen gaf.
Door een huwelijk kwam het in de 16e eeuw uiteindelijk in het bezit van Bernard von Velbrück en vervolgens via zijn nicht werd Gaspard de Heu de eigenaar. In de strijd van de Nederlanden voor onafhankelijkheid van Spanje ondersteunde de Heu prins Maurits van Oranje waardoor hij door de Spanjaarden in de gevangenis belandde. Hij werd aangeklaagd voor verraad en ketterij en schuldig bevonden, waarna hij in 1593 in het openbaar werd terechtgesteld. De burcht werd vervolgens door Spanjaarden namens koning Filips II van Spanje in beslag genomen en beleend aan de graaf Peter Ernst I van Mansfeld.
Aan het einde van de jaren 1630 was de heerlijkheid Beaufort door de Dertigjarige Oorlog dusdanig door schulden belast dat de burcht openbaar verkocht moest worden. Op 27 november 1639 verwierf de gouverneur van de provincie Luxemburg Jean de Beck het eigendomsrecht met al haar hauteurs, juridictions, noms droits et actions, biens censes et revenus et Grallem et toutes ses appartenances et dépendances. Hij bouwde 15 meter boven de huidige ruïne een tweede slot in renaissancestijl, dat hij gebruikte als zijn nieuwe residentie. De voltooiing van het nieuwe slot beleefde hij echter niet meer door zijn vroegtijdig overlijden. Zijn zoon Jean Georges zorgde voor de verdere bouw.



Fuente – Source

The castle ruins from Beaufort-Luxembourg***Burg Beaufort-Luxemburg

EN.- Urban exploration is usually about exploring areas away from urban centers, industrial zones, or abandoned areas. But also for ancient ruins and areas impossible to access, everything depends on each explorer.

ES.- La exploración urbana normalmente se trata de la exploración de zonas alejadas de los núcleos urbanos, zonas industriales, o abandonadas. Pero también por ruinas antiguas y zonas imposibles de acceder, todo depende de cada explorador.

Urbexvideos.eu es la exploración urbana llevada a tu pantalla ! Disfruta de todos los videos de Urbex que existen en una misma página web y todo categorizado por zonas !

Saludos exploradores ! 😉

Publicado en Luxembourg y etiquetado , , , , , , , .

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *